Calmness in the middle of a lot

Yesterday I ran up to PetCo to get dog food. The store is in a huge fairly new shopping center. In the middle of the parking lot there is an empty grass lot just waiting for some bank or sandwich shop or something to be erected. It’s usually empty.

Yesterday, there were two horses in it.

Just randomly hanging out.

No signs, no other people.

Just these two horses.

I was awestruck, as I love horses. No real experience with them really, aside from the normal ride every year or two, but I love them. They are so majestic and mysterious. I daydream about riding a lot. Strange really, as I don’t want to do all of the stuff associated with riding like mucking out a stall or cleaning or shoveling hay or being a farm hand. I just want to ride.

Anyway.

I threw the car in park and got out with that scared/excited feeling in my belly propelling me forward.

I walked quietly over to the fence and one of them came to me.

I let him smell me and stroked his head while I talked to him. Asking him what he was doing here and thanking him for letting me pet him.

I stood there for a  couple more minutes just being with him, noticing the initials MC branded on his ass.

And then I left.

It was like 2 hours of yoga in the span of 4 minutes.

Calming, peaceful and good for the soul.

I went back this afternoon to take a picture.

horses 002

After taking this one I turned around and took another shot of the mountains from the exact same spot.

horses 004

Two things:

1. See! It is a total parking lot.

2. I love Colorado. Look at those mountains. And the blue sky!  I say to the kids at LEAST twice a week “We are so lucky to live somewhere so beautiful.”

4 comments:

Sheri Nugent | November 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I would love to hang out with horses. I don't even need to ride them. I would just like one for a pet. You ARE lucky to live in a place where horses fill up the parking lots instead of yet another Dollar Store.

Kara | November 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I had a similar experience yesterday - no horses in my yogic four minutes, but with the sun behind me, I followed my shadow down busy New York streets while listening to Florence and the Machine on Pandora. I was on my way to pick up my newly fixed sewing machine and it was just one of those moments when I couldn't help but notice the falling leaves and feel the sun on my back. Just had to acknowledge how lucky I am - I really love those moments when we can't deny the beauty of the moment. I loved your post. xo

Associate Girl | November 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

So kind of sort of the same thing - we discovered a lone bunny that lives in our yard. We have a bus stop in our yard for goodness sake. But he just hangs out by our door. I love him so much.

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman | November 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM

You should ride! There are so many stables where you just need to show up and they bring the house to you, and then after the lesson, take the horse away. You get to ride, no mucking, farm handing, etc. I rode from ages 6-18 (college got to be too expensive to learn to read and ride ...) and miss it so much. Great sport. Cheers, J