Thursday Loves – scrambled edition

 

Life is whizzing by as it tends to do this time of year with so many holiday things going on. I am hustling to be happy. However, I would like to speak to whomever is in charge of weather in Colorado. It’s too cold, mkay? WAY too freaking cold. It’s uncivilized and it’s making me cranky.

My mom remains the ultimate bad ass. A beautiful picture of strength and courage. My Aunt K and Uncle D are now in town helping, which makes me feel good. I like that she has someone at the house with her. She looks amazing but I can only imagine the emptiness she feels having her breasts gone. It’s emotional for me having weird, rock like, alien mounds on my chest. I can’t imagine my state if they were gone completely. She is brave.

We met with Mom’s oncologist on Tuesday and chemo is a reality. The doc’s calling it “gentler” chemo but isn’t that an oxymoron? The whole idea of it is daunting and a pain in the ass quite honestly. I find my anger returning and wishing that I could endure some of this BS for her. One drug is once a week for 12 weeks via IV. One drug is every three weeks for a YEAR via IV. And I think the other is a pill, I’m not sure. Ugh.

Help

I bought the book The Help last week intending to get around to reading it sometime. I started and finished it in 3 days. I loved it. It’s really a beautiful story and an impressive first novel. I relish that feeling when you’re so engrossed in a book that everything you do is in the way of your reading. Brushing my teeth I’m thinking “I can’t wait to go read!” Eating dinner I’m thinking “I can’t wait to go read!” It reminds me of the giddiness of new love.

I immediately started to re-read The Lovely Bones as I wanted to read it again before I see the movie. I do love this book. However, I did find myself much more emotional and uncomfortable reading the beginning. The last time I read the book was when it first came out in 2002. I was pregnant or perhaps Hadley was a baby. Last night, as I read, I couldn’t help but picture Hadley as Susie Salmon. It made me hurry through the uncomfortable passages, not wanting to linger too long on what happened to this little girl. I am anxious to see the movie though. I know Peter Jackson will do it justice.

 

I read these 10 Thoughts on Whole Living from the November issue of Body+Soul. I ripped it out because I liked it. Here they are:

1. Find a few minutes each day to completely unplug.

2. Giving to others is the most powerful thing we can do for ourselves.

3. See physical fitness as a practice, not a goal.

4. This fall, make it a point to heed your need for solitude.

5. The secret to beautiful skin starts with what you put inside your body.

6. Try doing even the most menial tasks mindfully and with grace.

7. The quality of your connections with other people will carry you further than you think.

8. Just because a no-frills home remedy is simple doesn’t mean it won’t work.

9. If you want to eat healthier, try giving yourself the benefit of better choices.

10. Home isn’t a place. It’s a state of mind.

 

Did you see this funniest Facebook snafus of all Time on Huff Post?  Some of them are so hysterical. The first one had me dying…A girl posts that she HATES HER JOB on her status and her boss replies. AWKWARD.

ELKs are having a holiday party this weekend and I told lady ELK I’m going to show up as a time traveler from 1987. My clothes suck. I had originally intended to make this party the prom of 2009 and go all out. However, reality has set in and I will not arrive to a swarm of gasps about how awesome I look. I will, however, borrow sister’s DVF wrap dress, which will do quite nicely.

Peter and I had a date over the weekend and saw the rock musical, Spring Awakening. I had been wanting to see this since it was running on Broadway and swept the Tonys. Also, since Lea Michele played Wendla on Broadway and she is now on the show “Glee”. (HEART)

wall_new_02

I loved so much about it but when it was over I was left feeling “meh”. It was anticlimactic for me. I can’t stop thinking about it or singing the songs, which were fantastic but I wouldn’t say I was moved. It irritates me that I can’t put my finger on why I wasn’t beyond thrilled. Maybe it felt trite? It shouldn’t since it is based on a play written in 1891 by Frank Wedekind. The content was CRAZY for those times. People thought he was a sexual deviant. I don’t know. I’m thinking out loud. If you’ve seen it or go to see it, tell me what you think. Next up is "In the Heights”, which I can’t wait to see.

Happy Thursday. Make it a good one.

0 comments: