i’m radioactive

Yesterday, I went to the hospital for a HIDA scan. I’m trying to make peace with doctor’s offices and hospitals as places that I spend a great deal of time. My thinking is “try to make the best of it.”

I brought my new book (LOVE!) and curled up with it while I waited for my turn.  During the test, I lay on this table, they put in an IV, inject me with radioactive dye and then watch and take pictures for an hour and a half while the dye makes its way through my body. It’s actually pretty cool and it wasn’t too bad as far as tests go.

I slept on and off under a lovely heated blanket while they scanned and took pictures. I daydreamed about someone coming to wax my eyebrows and tint my eyelashes. That would have been nice.

After the test, I chatted with the charming European barista in the lobby who makes a killer cappuccino. We talked about how Americans can’t make coffee. So true.  And then I took the long way home on a sunny day while listening to NPR.

Haven’t heard the results yet and I’m not expecting any news. They never find anything. Oh, the fun of lupus.

The good news is I’m not doubled over in pain, losing weight or eating Percocet like Tic Tacs anymore.

Life goes on.

I’m back to yoga and it feels glorious to be back on the mat. (For the past year, since cancer, I have been doing restorative yoga, which, while lovely, isn’t particularly strength building.) Going to a regular class showed me how weak I have become over the past year. Total spaghetti arms and legs. It’s a process…

Breakfast with RR on Sunday and lunch today with ELK has me feeling light and relaxed. I love you, Old Sames. (CTM too!)

Welcome to your Tuesday, people. I hope something makes you laugh out loud.

4 comments:

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman | September 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

You are one hot lady (sorry, that was too easy). I've had the radioactive scan too (bone things for spine, tumor) ... of course I have, I have had every thing WebMD lists on the menu ... I found the heated blanket a very nice touch. Compared to other tests, the isolation was almost spa-like. Maybe we need a REAL trip to a spa? Spas don't involve IVS do they? No? Hoping if you do get some results back, the issue is small and easy to deal with. Thinking of you!

Sheri Nugent | September 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I'm so glad you are feeling well enough to enjoy a wonderful book. So, I guess I need to download this to my Kindle - because you, my culture-prophet, are my true north! :-)

Emily | September 14, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Thanks, J. A real trip to a spa sounds DIVINE. No hospital staff with cartoon animal scrubs allowed.

The book is a must, S. I was going to send you a note and tell you. You'll devour it. Or at least I hope you do!

Associate Girl | September 16, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Hi Emily - just wanted to say hi. Too bad we don't live just a little bit closer. Jody