Bring It

EmilyDec2009 001 I had a lovely dinner out with my mom and sister tonight. The perfect dinner companions. I would include the picture of us at dinner but I don’t have it yet and even if I did I look like sasquatch and wouldn’t post it anyway. (this pic is from my lunch with CCC when he was in town from Atlanta. ::Sigh:: That visit was too short dear friend.)

Anyway, I was on the end in the picture. You know the person on the end and the one closest to the camera looks like a wildebeest. Mom and Meg are positively Lilliputian next to me. It was just all wrong.

They hassled me about not updating my blog frequently enough. That made me laugh. (I’m updating ladies!)  I have been slacking and relaxing. Just nothing to write about I guess. Or perhaps I’m just lazy.

Happy New Year to you! I am not really one for resolutions as I try every day to be better but i do have a few things in mind that I want to accomplish in 2010. One of them would simply be to not have any medical emergencies.

Please.

My next surgery is on Wednesday. I’m ready. Prescriptions are filled. Blood work is done. Hair is done. (Top priority in case they really are giving out the “best hair in surgery” award I’ve dreamed out. )

I’ve known Michael, my hair stylist, since i was like 16. Meg found him first. He calls himself my “brister” – combination of brother and sister.

Anyway, as he’s washing my hair, we were talking about my surgery and a new stylist walked in the room. Michael filled her on what we were talking about. (He cuts my mom’s hair too so he said ‘Remember Ellen? I told you about her. Well, this is HER daughter.’ – I hate being the one who has a story. Just once I’d love to be the girl without a story.)

So, the new stylist, who still has her coat on, says “Oh, it’s nice to meet you.” Before she came in, I had been telling Michael that I was going to show him. So when he’s done shampooing, I stand up and lift up my shirt.

You know she wasn’t expecting seeing that at work that day. Poor girl.

Michael was fascinated and appreciated the teaching moment.

And I proceed to stand there chit chatting nonchalantly as the two of them check out my weird, nipple less mounds. 

As my friend and neighbor B says, “they’re not boobs, they’re just hardware.” I may as well have been showing them my cell phone.

This is what mine look like.

Sort of creepy but I’m so used to it now and I’ve grown fond of them.

That picture is from a website called Myself: Together Again. It’s one woman’s struggle with breast cancer, chemo and then reconstruction and its well done.

You know it’s funny, when I think about it, this year has sucked. And yet, I can’t honestly remember a time when I’ve been happier or felt luckier.

Life is constantly throwing shit at you. It’s like this perpetual game of dodge ball. You’re bopping along, having fun, laughing with friends and then randomly get hit in the face. You pick yourself back up and get back in the game. (a sports analogy is such a stretch for me. I’m even surprising myself with it.)

As long as I’m with my friends and family though and keeping positive, life can be a really amazing.

EmilyDec2009 044

Looking forward to a delish brunch with an old same tomorrow morning at Beatrice and Woodsley. WIshing E&C could be there too.

AND….AND!! School starts back up on Monday! I might bring my left over champagne to celebrate at the bus stop. More on the blue eyed devils another time. They’re both excelling in loud talking and complaining about food choices.

Hope you have a relaxing Sunday…

3 comments:

Beth | January 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM

First of all, beautiful photo of you, as always. Second, feel exactly the same way about a shitty year, yet feeling really happy. I keep wondering if I should be more upset! Third, thanks for the laugh about flashing your hairdresser. love it!

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman | January 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Happy New Year Emily!

Glad you are back to blogging. I always enjoy reading a post from you! Some random comments, in no particular order:

1) You are gorgeous!!!

2) Again, just gorgeous! (bears repeating).

3) With good hair.

4) Is it odd that the photo made me think of Barbie boobs? Perfect tatas til you are 97? Not a totally awful situation to come out of a less than ideal one? (I know, I know ... different when not your choice, but hopefully the end result is a good one. My boobs after baby? Um, less than Barbie. All I will say on that.)

5) I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday and really hope your surgery is textbook, extra boring, and super quick. And that recovery comes with some fun pain meds.

XOXO from that Other Girl With The Story

KellyinMotion | January 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Found you through Beth's blog. Just found out you had surgery today to get the "real" boobs. I'm jealous, of course cuz I'm still in the expanders and will be for what seems like forever! Keep us posted how the recovery is going.