Behind Every Great Woman

meandmylove

 

Do me a favor.

When you see my husband or talk to him, ask him how he is doing.

Tell him you think he is a great husband and father. I do.

Tell him I think he is good and kind and handsome and sweet and funny. I do.

Tell him that you’re proud of him. I am. 

Tell him that being as good as he is has to take so much effort. But he never shows the effort. He just is.

Tell him I appreciate it when I’m wandering around the house with a furrowed brow, riddled with anxiety, talking about “where’s Finn’s other sock?!?!??” and he’ll just stop me, look me in the eyes and say “Hey” and then hold me tight. Tighter than I even thought I needed to be hugged but soon realize it is exactly what I need.

While I need and appreciate your love and support when my twin towers come down on September 11, my darling PGP needs some of that love and support too. (How great is that twin towers reference?? I’m sorry. hello brills. AXM said it to me and I thought it was so clever and it made me smile. Don’t I have clever friends?) And I’m not making light of 9/11. Not in the least. I’m just saying it was clever reference. Don’t be getting all pissy. Remember I have cancer, MFs. (my friends) You have to be nice to people with cancer. There’s a rule about it somewhere.

5 comments:

Sheri Nugent | August 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Love the 9/11 Twin Towers reference ... indeed, very clever.

Good things happen on 9/11. My dog's birthday is 9/11. And you are getting well on 9/11.

Mean Jean | August 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Cancer is a terrorist.

Taylor | August 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Peter is amazing and I can't imagine a better husband, father, and friend!

PS The 9/11 reference made me giggle...clever:)

Unknown | August 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Well said. Been thinking about you. And been thinking about how my big brother must be doing. Love you two - SO MUCH!

suzanne | August 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

hey emily- have been meaning to write you and tell you that I was so shocked when I read your news and even stranger is that we haven't met but I keep thinking about how you are going through this and keeping your spirits high. I love your blog (and your outlook on life!) and will be checking back regularly to hear your thoughts. I am thinking of you! Suzanne